Home | Medical-Newswire.Com:
(Medical-NewsWire.com, November 12, 2019 ) Market Overview
• Radiotherapy, also known as radiation therapy, is used for cancer patients to cure cancer by destroying the cancer cells and reducing the size of tumors. X-rays, gamma rays, and charged particles are commonly used radiations during radiotherapy. Based on severity of cancer, the radiation beam can be applied externally, internally or systemically. The latest developments in the implementation of Computed tomography aided intensity-modulated radiotherapy, and image-guided techniques are expected to boost the market growth over the forecast period. Increase in demand for cancer treatments are expected to give lucrative opportunities for market growth during the forecast period.
• The global radiotherapy market is driven by the rising prevalence of cancer, considerable investments in research and development activities of cancer treatment, technological advancements in radiotherapy devices, rising geriatric population, increasing adoption of radiotherapy devices and procedures, rise in the number of awareness campaigns regarding the benefits of radiotherapy.
• The rising prevalence of cancer is expected to drive the market over the period of forecast. For instance, according to WHO, cancer is responsible for 9.6 million deaths in 2018 and globally, about 1 in 6 deaths is only because of cancer. International Agency for Research on Cancer has estimated that there will be 413,000 new cases in the forecast period.
• The presence of advanced radiation therapy techniques is expected to boost the market. For instance, on August 23, 2019, Heidelberg University Hospital, of Germany, has started using the RayStation treatment planning system for carbon ion therapy treatments. The center is using RayStation for both particle therapy and photon therapy currently.
• In July 2018, Mirada DLCExpert deep learning software got FDA approval, which automatically identifies segments, organs and auto-contours them as the first step in creating radiation oncology treatment plans. This example of a segmented prostate computed tomography scan is used to plan radiotherapy was created without any human intervention.
• The presence of campaigns for increasing awareness regarding the radiotherapy is expected to boost the market. For instance, on November 7, 2017, The Marie Curie Legacy Campaign, pioneered by the ECF and ESTRO, a global initiative was launched. It raises awareness of the benefits of radiotherapy and optimizes the provision of radiation in Europe and beyond.
• However, lack of skilled personnel to perform radiotherapy, the presence of alternative treatments, high cost of equipment are likely to hamper the market.
• The development of side effects due to radiotherapy is likely to hinder the quality of life of cancer patients. Natural products, including crude extracts, bioactive components -enriched fractions, pure compounds prepared from herbs as well as herbal formulas, are proved to prevent and treat cancer. Radiotherapy induced esophagitis and enteropathy are significant issues for long term cancer survivors. Chinese herbal medicine Zhu-Ye-Shi-Gao granules can treat recurrent oral ulcer and chronic pharyngitis. Thus, the presence of competent alternative treatment options for radiotherapy is expected to restrain the market.
• By type, the global radiotherapy market is segmented into external beam radiation therapy, internal beam radiation therapy/brachytherapy, and systemic radiation therapy.
• In August 2019, Varian has launched the image-guided patient positioning system at the American Association of Physicists in Medicine (AAPM) 2019 meeting. It helps in aligning the patients on radiotherapy system treatment table to match the position they were in when the computed tomography scan was created.
• On October 31, 2018, researchers at Philadelphia’s Fox Chase Cancer Center found that by treating the localized prostate cancer with hypofractionated intensity-modulated radiation therapy (HIMRT) is yielding equivalent disease outcomes compared with other conventional intensity-modulated radiation (CIMRT).
• Internal beam radiation therapy is expected to grow at a high rate over the period of forecast. This is owing to the presence of recent launches in the market. For instance, in March 2019, the oncology center at Netcare Pinehaven Hospital in Krugersdorp has bolstered its cancer treatment options, with the launch of a high dose rate (HDR) brachytherapy, an internally delivered form of radiation therapy for the treatment of various cancers.
• By the end-user, the global radiotherapy market is segmented into hospitals and clinics, ambulatory surgical centers, and others. The hospital's segment is expected to drive the market owing to the increasing number of small-footprint advanced radiotherapy products promoting their adoption in hospitals, the rising global prevalence of cancer, increasing installations of advanced radiotherapy devices in the hospitals.
• North America is dominating the global radiotherapy market in 2018 and estimated to hold largest market size over the forecast period (2019-2026) owing to the rising prevalence of cancer, extensive ongoing research and development programs engaged in improving the existing radiation therapy techniques like integration of image-guided and intensity-modulated radiotherapy combined with hormone treatment to reduce remission percentages.
• The rising prevalence of cancer is expected to drive the global radiotherapy market over the period of forecast. For instance, the National cancer institute has estimated that in 2018, an estimated 1,735,350 new cases of cancer are diagnosed in the US and 609,640 people died from the disease. American Cancer Society has estimated that more than 1.7 million new cancer cases are expected to be diagnosed in 2019.
• The rising adoption of radiotherapy services and procedures in the region is expected to drive the market. For instance, On January 29, 2019, Isoray, a medical technology company and innovator in seed brachytherapy powering expanding treatment options throughout the body, announced that Hollings Cancer Center at the Medical University of South Carolina (MUSC) has completed the world’s first prostate cancer surgery using the pioneering Blu Build real-time Cesium-131 brachytherapy (internal radiation therapy) delivery system.
• The rising number of mergers, launches, acquisitions by the key players related to radiotherapy are expected to boost the market. For instance, on 28 May 2019, IBA (Ion Beam Applications) announced that it has signed a contract and received the down payment for the delivery of a Proteus®ONE solution with the European Institute of Oncology (IEO) in Milan, Italy.
• The major players operating in the global radiotherapy market are Varian Medical Systems, Elekta AB, Accuray Incorporated, IBA (Ion Beam Applications), Nordion, Inc., Isoray Medical, Inc., Raysearch Laboratories AB, Mevion Medical Systems, Inc., and Mitsubishi Electric Corporation, GE Healthcare.
• The key players are adopting various strategies such as product launches, mergers & acquisitions, partnerships, and collaborations, which are contributing to the growth of the radiotherapy market globally. For instance,On April 26, 2019, IBA (Ion Beam Applications S.A., EURONEXT), has showcased technology leadership in proton therapy at the 38th Annual European Society for Radiotherapy & Oncology (ESTRO) Meeting and Exhibition being held in Milan.
• On January 08, 2018, IsoRay, Inc, announced the signing of an exclusive manufacturing and supply agreement with GT Medical Technologies, for proprietary Cesium-131 seeds embedded in collagen tiles. The term is of 10 years.
Enquire Before Purchase: https://www.datamintelligence.com/enquiry/radiotherapy-market
Download free sample: https://www.datamintelligence.com/download-sample/radiotherapy-market
DataM Intelligence was incorporated in the early weeks of 2017 as a Market Research and Consulting firm with just two people on board. Within a span of less than a year we have secured more than 100 unique customers from established organizations all over the world.
For more information:
Sales Manager at Data M Intelligence
Tel: +1 877 441 4866
+1 877 441 4866